Week 4 & 5 - Seamless Portals and More Models

Hi there, sorry for the delay

This few weeks have been rough with the pandemic that's been going around.

But we have exciting new things to show you so lets begin!

Portals...

I hate portals...

Not because they aren't fun, but because they are a pain in the a** to do properly. However, I was pretty pleased with how ours turned out. Huge thanks to Sebastian Lague for his video on portals, my professor Gustavo Reis for giving me some nice tips and again to Froyok for helping with some clever functions.

So, The way a portal works is actualy pretty simple to understand but hard to implement. It's just another camera that projects what it sees in a plane. However, we needed these portals to be seamless so it would work with out level design.

Froyok had a great idea to actual deform the plane in such a way that it makes you actualy enter it, and only after do you teleport the player.

After some messing around and tweaking several parameters I finally got it working and posted it on twitter.

Gustavo Reis said to me that the portal would be working when I had two rooms connected through a portal and I couln't tell. So thast what we did after.
It still wasn't perfect as it had some little jumps in the transition.

It had to do with the size of the portal mesh.

After fixing, we finnaly had seamless portals.


Here we also give a sneak peak of whats comming next week: Ledge Grab. So be sure to follow out twitter for updates.

One thing I didnt mention was the fact that these portals are not recursive, its a limitation we have and I don't think we will have to address this issue but if we do, ill be sure to update you on that.

Also at the moment only the closest portal to the player works. I might change that to be the portal that is inside the view of the player, I'll also keep you updated in that.

On the modeling side of things, our artist are still working hard to pump out those models and here are a couple of awesome renders





And thats our progress at week 4 & 5

Stay tunned for next week and follow us on our Twitter.

Comments

Popular Posts