Week 2 - Player prototype and core mechanics

So, being the game developer (aka programmer), I have a few things to share with you.

So as you know we are using Unreal Engine 4 and we will be using C++.

First, I would like to give a huge thanks to Froyok. He has some awesome tutorials and helped me create a true first person character controller.
Out of the whole process, the hardest part was the rotation update since my previous experience with UE4 was only with blueprints. An advise I give to you, read the UE4 API. After a few days of research and trial and error, I was able to come up with this:



In case you are wondering, the character and animations came from Mixamo, they have a huge library of characters and animations compatible with all their characters. These are great to use as placeholders while I'm developing a prototype. Later we will replace them with animations of our own.

Now, it was time to break the whole thing :)

So the main mechanic of our game is when you die, you possess a nearby NPC.

And it sounds easy but the issue was, up to this point I was creating a child class of the Character class inside UE4, but the NPC's, being controlled by AI had to be childs of a Pawn class. Which meant that I had to make my Character Controller in a way that if I where to possess any NPC, all my inputs would still work.

So the first thing I did was creating a Pawn class that did exactly the same thing as my previous character but with all the inputs inside the controller.

And after a couple days we did it. I also added and input so I could change possessed character.



And this is our progress at week 2.

Stay tunned for week 3 and follow us on our Twitter.

Comments

Popular Posts